Monday, 21 April 2008

Campaign Diary - Monday 21st April 2008

Well it has been a busy couple of day, meeting local residents in Grange-de-Lings, Riseholme, Greetwell, Scampton and in Lincoln. So many people each with there own unique story and concerns. It reminds me of the scale of the opportunity before me to serve. An opportunity I intend to put my all into.


I was glad to see that Stuart Wheeler will be at the High Court in London tomorrow requesting a judicial review of the government's decision not to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. I have long supported the 'I want a referendum' campaign.

Mr Wheeler said:
"It is a straight matter of law. We will be referring to the manifold statements by the heads of state in Europe, saying 'isn’t it wonderful that this new Lisbon treaty contains everything that was in the old one of any importance’."
I hope he succeeds; we were promised a referendum by all the main political party's on this issue at the last General Election in 2005 and that includes Labour MPs. Whether you agree or disagree with ratifing the treaty it is important in my view that politican's keep their promises. I promise that is what can be expect of me when they cast there vote form me on May 1st.


The hearing will be in Court 3 at the Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand, London WC2A 2LL, starting at 10:30 a.m. Anyone hoping to be there should note that it can take up to 20 minutes to clear security.