Monday, 7 April 2008

Campaign Diary - Monday 7th April 2008

Over the weekend I have been out knocking on doors and talking to local residents and been pleasantly surprised at the warm reception I have received despite the occasional flurry of snow.

I am standing as a Conservative, as only the Conservative Party represents the change, on so many issues, that we desperately need. But I want to be clear I will be answerable to you and you will be my priority above party interest when I am elected as your representative.

The Labour Party have launched their first party political broadcast related to the local elections on May 1st. It begins: "It's your chance to have a say about we've been doing and what you've been seeing in your local community." It isn't really as there are no Labour candidates in the West Lindsey Local Elections.

The first thing that came to mind when I heard that was the lack of funding for the police which is contributing to the massive rise in Council Tax bills.

The big story of today 'running strongly in all media since breakfast time', as Andrew Rawnsley puts it has been the Prime Minister's growing problems over the abolishing of the 10p tax band, which was one of his last acts before he moved from Number 11 to Number 10 Downing Street. It is intolerable that the 5,000,000 of the lowest paid people in this country are having to pay more tax to compensate for a cut for their more wealthy peers. David Cameron has been right today to call on the government to act.