David Cameron has just delivered a speech that had authority, leadership and understanding of the public mood regarding expenses. Aside from a large batch of money to be repaid, with the threat of expulsion from the party in place if they refuse, Cameron said that responsibility will be at the heart of what the Conservatives do.
The opening word - “Sorry” set the tone for the press conference in which he announced the following measures would take immediate effect in the Conservative Party:
• MPs will have to publish their future claims online.
• Switching of the designated second home will be banned, subject to the Chief Whip’s approval.
• MPs will have to pay capital gains tax on the sale of a second home paid for by the taxpayers.
• MPs will not be allowed to claim for furniture or food under the second home allowance. They will only be allowed to use it to cover the basics, such as rent or mortgage interest payments.
• Parliament has to live by the values of thrift.