Mr. Duncan Sharkey, who leaves the authority for a new post in March, is quoted as saying that it would be
"some time before we are able to repair the damage"done to the council from the investigations but they were
to do so, and cited positives achieved by the Conservative-led administration.
- The introduction of the Triple Bin refuse collection scheme which had taken the recycling rate to more than 50 per cent.
- The first council in the country to reach the achieving level of the Equality Framework for Local Government.
- A new leisure contract giving better value from the leisure centre.
- A restructuring of the council which means the council tax increase last April was 1.8 per cent and this year will be less than 1 per cent.
- Significant improvements in the housing department.
- Saved the Trinity Arts Centre in Gainsborough.
- One of the first councils to draw down money from the Future Jobs Fund to help young people into work.
- Working with the police, rewarded youngsters for work like litter picking and removing graffiti.