Tuesday, 23 March 2010

GE2010: Lincoln: Health Minister to Face Sacked NHS Boss at Election

Ms Gillian Merron, Labour (Lincoln), Minister of State for Health, faces a new challenger to an already cowed field for the Lincoln seat at the coming General Election, widely expected to be on Thursday, 6th May 2010.

Mr. Gary Walker is putting himself to the public vote in the battle to become Lincoln's next parliamentarian. He was fired last month following a spat over missed NHS targets, Mr. Walker said it was the injustice he felt about this and being incensed by the MPs' expenses scandal that had spurred him into politics.


The Lincolnshire Echo report that the former chief executive of the United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust says he is more than a single-issue candidate.

"I think everyone's disillusioned with all party politics and I hope my standing shakes things up in Lincoln," said Mr Walker, who lives in Canwick.

"All the parties have got good policies, but if I had to place myself, I would be somewhere between the Tories and the Liberal Democrats.

"One of my major policies is health, which I know most about. When I was chief executive of the local hospitals, I created more than 400 jobs.

"Despite this, Lincoln has seen a decline in jobs and unemployment has doubled since 2008. That must change. We need to create a vibrant city and attract investment and support local business."
The declared candidates for the Lincoln Constituency at 2010 General Election are:

Mr. Ernest Coleman, English Democrat.
Mr. Karl McCartney, Conservative.
Ms Gillian Merron MP, Labour.
Cllr. Reg Shore, Liberal Democrat.
Mr. Nick Smith, United Kingdom Independence Party.
Mr. Gary Walker, Independent.
Rev. Robert West, British National Party.

No comments: