Thursday, 29 July 2010

Lincoln Rugby Club Granted Planning Permission for Lodge Lane Site

Last night West Lindsey District Council's Planning Committee granted Lincoln Rugby Football Club Planning Permission to build a new clubhouse and playing area on thirty-two acres of land on Lodge Lane, Nettleham.

The club, ten years ago, somewhat reluctantly, came to the decision that the facilities at the Lindum Sports Club, off Wragby Road, Lincoln were no longer large enough to cope with a rapidly growing number of players, particularly in the mini and junior sections. The club is naturally delighted after years of difficulties and frustrations to have finally got the go ahead. Once new facilities are ready for use the club will be in a position to achieve its aims of increasing participation across all age groups, introducing girls' and women's rugby and becoming a for in rugby in the area.

The proposed clubhouse will have six changing rooms as well as a bar and social areas.  The playing area will allow for up to four full size pitches and seven smaller junior and mini pitches.  In the summer months it is hoped that the facility will be used for Rugby League as well as tag rugby and rounders.  The clubhouse, which is designed to cater for the disabled, has been identified as a potential centre for 'boccia', a game similar to indoor bowls suitable for the disabled.  The club is keen to work closely with the local community.

Above: Mr. Bill Green, Prsident
of  Lincoln Rugby Club.
Club President, Mr. Bill Green, said:
"I am delighted with this decision which will allow us to develop a facility to meet our current and future needs.  It will allow us to introduce girls' and women's rugby as well as resolving the situation where we have turned players away in some of our junior and mini age groups due to lack of space.  We are looking forward to working closely with West Lindsey District Council and other bodies to develop participation in active sport in the area."
If everything goes to plan the club hopes to open the facility in January 2012, providing that a gap in funding can be filled.

Nettleham Parish Council had previously decided to object to the proposals and Cllr. John Evans represented the council at last night's meeting.

Speaking at the meeting Cllr. Evans said the proposal would be 'overwhelming and disproportionate' for the village.

Cllr. Evans said:
"The issue of congestion and safety through the middle village has been dismissed by the planning officer's report.

"We live there and we know how bad the traffic can get, even when it's not time for the school run."
 He summerised his thoughts following the meeting last night, via email, saying:
"I had five minutes to put the parish council view, and provided as much supporting planning related evidence as I could. We also had two members of the public addressing the issue and they were both against. The planning issue which I raised was not addressed, and the traffic issue was debated but finally dismissed, clearly the opinion of the Highways Dept counts for nothing."
Cllr. Evens noted that both of Nettleham's District Councillors supported the application and said:
"The only person to vote against the application was the councillor for Sudbrooke".
The application was carried by six votes in favour to one vote against.

You can watch the meeting of West Lindsey District Council's Planning Committee here.

No comments: