Sunday, 15 August 2010

Conservatives Cleared Over 'Inappropriate Behaviour' Allegations

Two members of West Lindsey District Council who faced allegations of inappropriate behaviour have been cleared following the investigation undertaken by Standards for England.

Standards for England have revealed that Mr. Adam Duguid, formerly Leader of the Council, and Cllr. Malcolm Parish, Conservative (Welton Ward) did not breach the code of conduct when they met a suspended council officer last year.

The two men were accused of bringing West Lindsey District Council into disrepute after they were present at a meeting with a suspended council worker in September 2009. However, Standards for England has concluded neither man discussed a disciplinary hearing that was ongoing at the time.

Cllr. Parish was said to have acted out of 'genuine concern for the officer's wellbeing' whilst Mr. Duguid's behaviour was described as 'not likely to compromise the impartiality' of the council's investigation.

Mr. Duguid, who lost his Market Rasen seat at the local elections in May, told the Echo:
"I think they did a very fair investigation. There were plenty of opportunities to raise points. My only criticism was it took rather a long time to be sorted."
Bernard Theobald addresses
the council lst year.
Meanwhile an announcement made by Eric Pickles MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, means that local residents may never know the outcome of a report by the Audit Commission - which is pending publication in to matters related to governance at the authority - after the body was announced that it is to be scraped with the loss of 2,000 civil service posts as part of government cuts. Doubtlessly Mr. Bernard Theobald, Mr. Duguid's predecessor as Leader of the Council, who also lost his seat in recent elections, is probably delighted at that news.

No comments: