Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Liberal Democrat MP Questioned By Police

Mike Hancock MP
Mike Hancock MP, Liberal Democrat (Portsmouth South), has been 'arrested' over claims he indecently assaulted a single mother who went to him for help, Guido Falkes reports on his blog today, he has been released on police bail.

Mr. Hancock says:
"I can confirm that I was questioned on Tuesday, 12th October by officers of the Hampshire Police in relation to allegations made against me by one individual. I attended the police station voluntarily, cooperated fully and answered all questions that were asked.


"Normal processes now have to be followed by the police, which I entirely understand.

"In the circumstances, and in accordance with legal advice, it would be inappropriate for me to make any further comment on this subject as to do so could prejudice due process.

"I hope that everyone will understand my position, respect my privacy and that of my family and will demonstrate the same respect for the legal process.
"I intend to carry on normally with my work as a Portsmouth member of Parliament and councillor, both in Hampshire and in Westminster, and to represent fully all my constituents as I have always done."
The police intervention came as Mr. John Lyon, the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner, was also reported to have been handed a complaint concerning the parliamentarian's behaviour. Conservatives on the Portsmouth City Council, on which Mr. Hancock serves as a councillor, have called for him to be suspended while the investigation is carried out.

Mr. Hancock has previously denied any wrongdoing and claimed he had merely offered 'help and support' to the 36-year-old woman.  It has previously been reported that he forcibly kissed the single mother as well as sending her late night text messages and lavishing gifts on her.

Mr. Hancock, who married wife Jacqueline forty-three years ago and has two children, was allegedly reported to police by a family support worker for the woman, who is understood to suffer from borderline personality disorder.

No comments: