Monday, 2 July 2012

Veteran Hits Out At Being Duped by Labour's Ed Miliband

Mr. Mike Williams, Hon. Secretary of the Lincoln Branch of the Royal Naval Association, has hit out at Leader of the Labour Party, Ed Miliband MP, following an event held in Lincoln last Friday.

Writing for The Lincolnite Mr. Williams voices his concerns about how what had been billed as a 'Veterans' Forum' was distorted into a platform for the Labour Leader to 'grace his followers with the usual platitudes'. Mr. Williams writes:
"I for one, and I’m sure I’m not alone amongst the Veterans, felt this had been shanghaied and we had been duped into providing a platform for an MP to grace his followers with the usual platitudes. 
"When the subject of this event taking place came up, I voiced my objections but was assured by Labour PPC Lucy Rigby that it would absolutely not be a political production. Well, I guess you can say that at my age, 56, I should never be taken in by the words of a politician. 
"By the time I managed to voice my question, almost an hour had passed and – with the exception of the question immediately preceding mine (not shown but referred to in the clip) – this was the first time the subject of the Armed Forces or Veterans welfare had been raised. 
"On declaring who I was, Mr Miliband thanked me for allowing him the use of the RNA Club for this gathering. I replied that if it had been up to me he, or any other politician, would not have been allowed anywhere near the premises."
Mr. Williams concludes:
"I will get absolutely slated by my Branch for this letter, but I couldn’t let go of the fact that a gathering intended to address Veteran’s concerns turned out to be nothing more than a Labour Party political broadcast."
Mr. Miliband was ordered by the Speaker of the House of Commons to apologise to Lincoln MP, Karl McCartney, for not meeting parliamentary protocol and informing him of his visit in advance.

No comments: